Gynecomastia (Male Breast Aesthetics)
Painless and quick healing gynecomastia operation era for Men
Breast growth in men (gynecomastia)
Gynecomastia is the termed used for breast growth in men with the same type of breast growth as women. This breast enlargement which usually starts in adolescencedue to the effects of the hormones resolves itself at the end of the adolescence majority of time. However the enlarged breast problem can only be resolved with surgery. If there is an underlying disease that causes gynecomastia this disease needs to be treated first before gynecomastia correction.
What causes gynecomastia?
The main cause of gynecomastia is due to relative increase of the oestrogen hormone levels in the blood connected to hormonal imbalance during puberty -enlarging the breast tissue in men. This is also referred to as physiological type gynecomastia.
Gynecomastia seen in adolescents often resolve spontaneously at the end of puberty.
Another common cause in forming breast fat and deterioration of skin elasticity with weight gain which is called “pseudo-gynecomastia” (false gynecomastia).Even if the weight is lost the condition may not improve. Pathological types are very rare however some underlying diseases such as; liver diseases, epilepsy medications, testicular tumour, brain tumours, some of the gastro protective medications, use of drugs, use of cortisone (steroid), lung cancers, some lung diseases and thyroid problems may also cause this condition. These can often cause sudden and painful breast growth.
Psychological problems caused by gynecomastia
Whether it be during the adolescence stage or in adulthood, breast growths causes psychological problems to men. The condition stops them doing sports and going swimming due to the sarcastic remarks made by those around them. They even go as far as not getting married, becoming completely withdrawn and antisocial due to this.
Types of gynecomastia
Gynecomastia has three subtypes; Glandular, lipomatous and mixed type gynecomastia.
In glandular type gynecomastia there is more breast tissue whereas in the lipomas gynecomastia the fat tissue of the breast region is increased. In mixed gynecomastia the breast tissue and the fat tissue of the breast area is increased. The most frequently type encountered is the mixed one where the uses of liposuction, vaser or laser lipolysis methods are enough to remove excess breast tissues and the fat tissues in its peripheral area.
The consultation is carried out in three stages as follows:
Stage1: Gathering information
- Listening to patient concerns and expectations
- Full and extensive medical details are asked and noted
Stage 2: Physical examination
- Examination of the chest area in order to asses if the condition is caused by fat tissue or breast tissue to determine the correct operation.
- Blood tests and ultrasound(only necessary in some cases)
Stage 3: Visual information sharing
- Before and after photographs of previous gynecomastia patients are shown to present a basic idea of results achieved and present clear visual answers to the questions the patients may have in mind.
(Due to the fact before and after picture sharing on social media being prohibited in Turkey we can only show such pictures for information purposes to patients who visit our clinic)
What is the earliest age gynecomastia procedure can be performed?
This surgery can be performed any time from the end of puberty, in other words from age 17 onwards. It will be more appropriate to wait a while since patients younger than 16-17 have a chance to recover by themselves. However, if the condition is ongoing after the age of 17 and if it is causing discomfort then it must be intervened as soon as possible in order to prevent future physiological problems.
Gynecomastia treatment methods
The only treatment method for gynecomastia is surgery and it is possible to achieve extremely good results with the right procedure. Surgical options vary according to the degree and type of gynecomastia and in inclusion to whether or not if there is any loose skin, the quality of the skin, if there is distinct and firm breast tissue, if there is excessive fat in the breast and its surrounding area, fat and breast tissue condition. All of these are evaluated and then the procedure method is selected in compliance to findings during your consultation stage.
The most frequent gynecomastia correction method I use is laser, vaser or lipolys assisted liposuction surgery. This is also called a “closed” method. The fat is dissolved and the breast tissue is torn and removed via tiny cannulas inserted into the skin. The skin is also tightened during this stage. The majority of patients are operated on using this method under basic sedation anaesthesia, are discharged on the same day and are able to go back to their daily routine the day after their operation.
In the presence of hard and widespread breast tissue where tissue breakage is not possible with laser or vaser we then make a full skin half-moon incision on the undersection of the areola and cut away the hard breast tissue from there. The operation scarring which is in exact line of the areola fades over time and becomes almost invisible. Liposuction procedure can also be performed during this operation. I rarely resort to this method of operation as I find laser and vaser operations highly successful.
Excess skin removal may also become necessary in gynecomastia cases where there is too much loose skin around the breast area. This is often encountered in patients of advanced age groups or those who has had bariatric surgery. In patients who have to have this type of operation we keep the post op scarring to a minimum by careful operation incision planning.
As closed surgery method is most frequent performed gynecomastia surgery the 2-3 mm incisions scarring fades over time and becomes almost invisible. This is also the same with any incisions made on the areola line. Some methods such as laser treatments and jell applications are recommended to speed up the scar healing process.
How long will the operation last?
The length of the operation is determined by the surgical method to be performed. If only liposuction, laser or vaser is used then the operation duration will be 1 to 1.5 hours. However this can last up to 2.5 hours if skin and/or breast (tissue) removals are also to be performed.
Step by step operation procedure:
- Gynecomastia correction is performed in a hospital setting under “sedation assisted local anaesthesia” or “general anaesthesia”.
- During the procedure the operation area is injected with a liquid mixture containing anaesthesia and anti-bleeding agents -which will also ensure maximum post op comfort.
- If laser or vaser devices were decided to be used: These devices are used to break down fat tissue
- Liposuction procedure is used to remove broken down fat tissue.
- The area is scanned with laser beams to tighten the skin
If the breast tissue is to be removed with open surgery;
- An incision is made on the under section of the areola in the shape of a half moon
- This cut section is then moved aside like a flap,
- The hard breast tissue is cut away
- İf liposuction is needed to correct the breast circumference, a cannula is inserted into the same place and liposuction is performed. – (Liposuction must definitely be performed in order to make sure no irregularities or collapses occur around the breast area).
- The incisions are closed with stitches.
In addition to these any excess / loose skin is removed according to body design markings made on body prior to surgery commencement. In these cases the excess breast and fat tissues and skin are removed from these incision areas, liposuction is performed and the skin is sutured retightening the skin.
How long will it take for me to recover?
Men recover more rapidly than women. You will be able to go back to your daily routine in 2-3 days maximum. Of course, the recovery phase can vary from person to person and while this duration is reduced with laser or vaser methods it can also extend in patients who have skin removals.
Will there be a lot pain after the surgery?
As in every operation you may experience slight pain in the first few days of your surgery. However these can be controlled with simple painkillers and you can go back to your daily routine in comfort. With the use of laser and vasers the post op pain, swelling and bruising is highly reduced and the healing process is accelerated.
What can I expect after my surgery?
- Depending on your general health you may be discharged on the same day or be kept in hospital overnight.
- Because the use of laser /vaser reduces the post op pain, swelling and bruising any fears related to operation is greatly diminished.
- You will be asked the wear the special corset for 2 weeks to a month after your surgery. ( I recommend my patients to wear vest style corsets as these can be worn under normal shirts and t-shirts as they do not crease or fold)
- You can remove the bandages and take a bath 24 hours after your surgery.
- You will be asked to apply disinfectant on wound area before putting your corset on after your bath.
- As self-absorbing stitches are used they do not need to be removed.
- A noticeable improvement will be seen 3 to 4 days after the surgery despite the swelling.
- The final results will be seen after 30 days of the operation.
Outer city – Overseas Patients:
We provide airport, bus station and hotel transfer services and daily city tours to our guest patients. It is very important for the health of the patient to stay under our treatment and observation for 3days and getting well before going back to their city/country. They can be accommodated in one of our contracted hotels and take mini tours during this time at reasonable prices if they so wish.
2022 Gynecomastia Surgery prices:
The price of a gynecomastia operation depends on the type of the gynecomastia, the size of the patients breast tissue, his weight, the anaesthesia to be used, the application of laser/vaser lipolysis and the hospital where the operation will take place.
You will need to be examined for operation costs specifically tailored to your requirements.
If you wish, you can obtain information from our +90 530 946 03 99 telephone number or by filling the contact form